President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to pull 2,500 U.S. troops from Afghanistan and Iraq by mid-January, acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller announced Tuesday.
The Defense Department will cut the number of troops in Afghanistan from 4,500 to 2,500 and the number of forces in Iraq from 3,000 to 2,500 by Jan. 15, days before Trump is set to leave office.
“I am formally announcing that we will implement President Trump’s orders to continue our repositioning of forces” from Afghanistan and Iraq, Miller told reporters at the Pentagon.
Miller also said that Trump’s decision “is based on continuous engagement with his national security Cabinet for the past several months, including ongoing discussions with me and my colleagues across the United States government.”
He added that he spoke with “key leaders in Congress as well as our allies and partners abroad to update them on these plans” earlier in the day.
Ahead of Miller’s announcement, a senior Defense official told reporters that the drawdown was a “collaborative decision,” but would not say which military leaders had recommended the plan.
The official also would not say which conditions had been met by the Taliban to warrant such a drawdown in Afghanistan, but insisted that U.S. national security will not be threatened and the troops remaining overseas will still be able to assist allies and partners in Afghanistan and Iraq.
The remaining 2,500 troops “can accomplish everything we have been doing,” the official said.
You can read more here: https://thehill.com/policy/defense/526362-trump-orders-pentagon-to-pull-2500-troops-from-afghanistan-and-iraq
Source The Hill YouTube Channel